Wednesday, Aug 28, 2013
Governor Beebe Sets Dates for Special Senate Election
Governor Beebe today issued a proclamation setting Tuesday, January 14, 2014, as the special election date to fill the District 21 senate seat vacated by the resignation of former State Senator Paul Bookout. Bookout resigned from the Arkansas Senate effective August 20.
The special primary election for the Democratic and Republican parties will be held on Tuesday, October 8. If needed, a special primary runoff will occur on Tuesday, November 12.
Here is the language from the proclamation pertaining to dates:
NOW, THEREFORE, I, MIKE BEEBE, Governor of Arkansas, do hereby proclaim as follows:
1. A special election shall be held on Tuesday, January 14, 2014, for the purpose of filling the vacancy in the office of State Senator for District 21.
2. A special primary election shall be held on Tuesday, October 8, 2013.
3. If required, a special primary runoff election shall be held on Tuesday, November 12, 2013.
4. The period for filing for candidacy as a party candidate with the Secretary of State’s office shall commence at 12:00 noon on Tuesday, September 3, 2013, and end at noon on Friday, September 6, 2013.
5. Certificates of nomination shall be issued by the parties no later than 12:00 noon on November 15, 2013, and candidates shall file certificates of nomination on or before close of business on November 15, 2013.
6. Independent candidates for the special election, if any, must submit their notices of candidacy, political practices pledges, and affidavits of eligibility to the office of the Secretary of State in Little Rock by 12:00 noon on Friday, September 6, 2013. Petitions in support of independent candidates may be circulated from Tuesday, September 3, 2013, through Friday, October 4, 2013, and must be filed no later than 12:00 noon on Monday, October 7, 2013.
7. Write-in candidates for the special election must notify in writing the county board of election commissioners, and file notices of candidacy, political practices pledges, and affidavits of eligibility for office no later than 12:00 noon on Friday, September 6, 2013.
8. Drawing for ballot position for the special election shall occur on or before November 15, 2013.
9. The results of the special election shall be certified by the county board of election commissioners on or before January 25, 2014.
10. All other deadlines and requirements not provided for in this proclamation shall be as provided for by the election laws of this State.