On behalf of Governor Asa Hutchinson, the Arkansas Department of Education is pleased to announce that the Governor’s Scholastic Honors Day will be held May 13, 2017, at the Governor's Mansion in Little Rock.
Scholastic Honors Day recognizes Arkansas’ best and brightest students. Public and private high schools are encouraged to select two students who best represent academic achievement in the senior class. Selection criteria are at the school’s discretion.
This year registration must be completed by the schools’ counselors and submitted online by 4 p.m. April 21, 2016.
After registering online, each student’s high school counselor and parents will receive a letter with more information.
Information for Students and Families Invited to Attend Scholastic Honors Day 2017.
- The address to the Arkansas Governor’s Mansion is 1800 Center Street, Little Rock (Do not go to the State Capitol).
- Arrive 15 minutes earlier than your designated arrival time.
- Business attire is strongly encouraged.
- Immediate family is invited.
- Your picture will be taken with the Governor and the First Lady.
- You will receive a certificate of recognition.
- Honors Day activities include touring the Mansion and its landscaped gardens.
- There is no formal program.
- Refreshments and light snacks will be served.
- Student Ambassadors from higher-education institutions across Arkansas will be present to discuss their respective universities and answer any questions you may have.
- A voter-registration booth will be provided by the Secretary of State’s Office.
For Student Ambassadors from Institutions of Higher-Education
Thanks for agreeing to participate in Scholastic Honors Day 2017. Having student ambassadors from Arkansas colleges and universities at this event adds a personal touch to the occasion and gives these college-bound seniors a chance to ask questions and make new friends. Below, you will find some helpful tips for Honors Day.
- Please wear khaki slacks and any color shirt with your institution’s logo on it, so that you will be easy to identify.
- Parking is available on Louisiana Street. (see map below)
- You may be spending part of the day outdoors, so please feel free to bring sunscreen or an umbrella.
FAQ - for Student Ambassadors:
Can I bring my family members or friends?
No, as a volunteer for this event, you should anticipate a very demanding day of activities.
Will I have my picture made with Governor Hutchinson?
Yes, if you arrive on time. There is no guarantee there will be an opportunity to take a make-up photo.
Will lunch be provided?
No, but there will be light snacks and refreshments.
How do I enter the Governor’s Mansion?
Enter at the Louisiana Street gate. There will be a designated staff person from the Governor’s Office to direct you to the Grand Hall.
Questions: Call Kimberly Friedman, ADE communications director, at (501) 683-4788 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
Things to Do in Little Rock
Little Rock’s attractions are as diverse as the city’s landscape, and offer a wide variety of fun. We cover it all – history, arts and culture, sustainability, nature, sports, urban outdoor adventure, family fun, and everything in between.
For a complete list of things to do while in Little Rock, visit: http://www.littlerock.com/things-to-do/.